Learning to golf, craft or even play the piano is not out of the question this summer as the Office of Continuing Education at Southern Arkansas University prepares for its summer offerings. Courses are taught by community instructors and are offered throughout the summer.
Courses being offered include the following:
- Youth Theatre–This course will help young people understand what is included in theatrical productions and how to express themselves. Rehearsals will include song, dance and acting, culminating in a public performance. The course is open to students in kindergarten through 12th grade and is being offered from 1-3:30 p.m. Monday-Friday from July 9-27 in Foundation Hall of the Donald W. Reynolds Campus and Community Center. The cost of the course is $100.
- Gymnastics for Beginners–Learn basic tumbling skills, education and safety. This is a beginner class for students ages 4-7 who have never taken tumbling. The course is offered from 1-2 p.m. July 9-12 or July 23-26 at Rock ‘n Roll Studio. The cost is $45.
- Gymnastics for Intermediates–This class will focus on intermediate tumbling skills as well as the education and safety of gymnastics. The course is open to ages 8-13 and is offered from 2-3 p.m. July 9-12 or July 23-26 at Rock ‘n Roll Studio. The cost is $45.
- Fundamentals of Golf–This is a beginner level course for students age 5-12. Students will learn the rules of the game, basic golf instructions starting from the beginning stage, driving the ball, short game, putting and chipping skills. The course is offered June 11-14 from 8-10 a.m. at the Magnolia Country Club. The cost is $50.
- Golf for Teens–This is an advanced level course for students age 13 and up covering golf course management and how to play your way around a golf course. Chipping, putting skills, short shots and driving skills will be taught. Students will play at least nine holes of golf each day. The course is offered June 25-28 from 8 a.m. until noon at the Magnolia Country Club. The cost is $70.
- Tennis Clinic–Students age 5-9 will learn basic tennis instruction skills. The course is offered June 18-22 from 9-10 a.m. at the SAU tennis courts. The cost is $35.
- Art Workshop–Students will explore art using a variety of media including drawing, water color, pastel, collage, and perhaps clay. The class size is limited to 15 students in grades kindergarten through nine. The course is being offered June 18-22 with times varying by age. The cost is $35.
- Children’s Art Workshop–Children will be involved in hands-on art experience involving painting, drawing, and 3-D art using various media. All materials are supplied, and the workshop ends with an “Artists’ Reception.” The class size Is limited to 15 students. It is being offered July 23-26 from 10-11:30 a.m. The cost is $50.
- Wild Art Camp–Students will be involved in a hands-on art experience. Youth will attend classes each day with instruction in drawing, painting, 3-D projects and crafts using various media. Materials and refreshments will be supplied. HP Wild Art scrubs will be available for $5. The class size is limited to 15 students in grades kindergarten through eight. The course is offered July 9-12 from 9-11:30 a.m. The cost is $75.
- Basic Digital Photography–Understanding your camera beyond the “auto” function is the key to this course. Taking control of shutter speeds, ISO, exposures, lighting, lenses and depth of field. The class will also include basic photo editing and instruction in Photoshop. A digital camera (DSLR or fixed-lens), tripod and a jump drive are required. The class size is limited to 15. The course will be offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays from July 3 through August 2 from 9:45-11:45 a.m. each day. The cost is $150.
- Aquacize–This class includes a wide variety of water exercises that provide for cardiovascular conditioning, toning and strengthening of muscles. Floatation devices are provided for deep water exercises. The course is offered from 6-7 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays from May 31-August 2 at the SAU pool. The cost is $40.
- Senior Wellness–The Senior Wellness program consists of exercises utilizing water applications. The Arthritis Foundation approves all water exercises. The course is offered Monday, Wednesday and Thursdays May 30-August 2 from 9-9:45 a.m. at the SAU pool. The cost is $40.
- Youth Swimming–This is a comprehensive course for students ages 4-12. Students will be placed according to their abilities. Basic water safety will be taught. Courses are limited to 10 students and are 30 minutes in length with the first beginning at 2 p.m. and the last finishing at 5:30 p.m. The course is offered June 4-13 or June 18-28 at the SAU pool. The cost is $60.
- Instant Piano for Hopelessly Busy People–Want to learn the secrets and magical shortcuts of professional players? Do you want to learn chords, not notes? In just one enjoyable evening, you’ll learn all the chords you will need to play any song, any style, and any key. If you can find middle C and know the meaning of Every Good Boy Does Fine, you already know enough to enroll in this workshop. The course is offered from 6-9:30 p.m. on Wednesday, August 1. The cost is $55 plus $25 for materials.
For more information on any course or to enroll, contact the Office of Continuing Education at (870) 235-4005. Registration is not complete until all course fees are paid.