An interruption of natural gas service in Haynesville led to the closure of all of the city’s schools Tuesday, the AP reports. Center Point Energy says the outage was caused Monday night when a piece of equipment hit a natural gas line. The company says some Haynesville residents may not have gas service until Wednesday.
Officials say 1,300 meters were turned off at residences and businesses as a safety precaution. A Center Point spokeswoman says the pipe has been fixed and 60 workers are on site to begin the process of turning on the individual meters.