Read the affidavit of probable cause in the SAU horse theft case

Editor’s Note: What follows below are scanned copies of the probable cause affidavit in the case of the five champion rodeo horses stolen from Southern Arkansas University in early November. Jaci Rae Jackson, 19, who lists addresses in Buckner, Ark., and Broken Bow, Okla., was arrested at 1 p.m. Monday during a traffic stop on U.S. 82 in connection with the theft. She remains in custody at the Columbia County Detention Facility today, and is scheduled for a first appearance hearing at 4:30 p.m., Wednesday, in Columbia County Circuit Court. Bond will be set during those proceedings. The affidavit presented here has some items ‘blacked out’ due to pending arrests and because the Banner-News does not wish to impede any further arrests or law enforcement investigations into the case. Also, the Banner-News’ policy is to not identify witnesses to crimes, nor does the newspaper identify potential suspects unless an arrest has been made. The Banner-News appreciates readers’ understanding of those issues. Be advised, too, that due to the size of the document, it may take a few moments to fully load. Read on for the full affidavit…..

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to Read the affidavit of probable cause in the SAU horse theft case

1. Dee Botha says:

This is one of the most shocking and violent cases of animal abuse I have ever heard about. The most disturbing thing about this case is that the woman involved is a rodeo contestant herself, therefore one would naturally presume horses were the love of her life! Clearly not, she not only orchestrated their demise but watched a champion animal being butchered!! If she could get the death sentence I would rejoice but one can only pray they lock her up and throw away the key!! My heart goes out to Credit Card’s owner…God is weeping with you.

2. Cathy Conlin Duvall says:

It appears that the accomplice was the master mind!

• Sharon Quintal says:

Doesn’t matter if someone smarter than her planned the “caper” she didn’t have to participate. Are you actually suggesting that we cut her slack cause, why?
      By the end of this week I will have more information on her and will make sure nothing is concealed. This bitch will go down along with anyone who is part of this horrible act.

• MJ Blakely says:

Just because she may not have done the actual killing she was the one in charge. It was because of her it was done, she did the scouting to find out where the horses were and she had it with in her power to call it quits. If it weren’t for her it wouldn’t have happened! SHE is the master mind and should be delt with harshley! They all should be delt with the same.

3. Susan Powell says:

What a sick, sick person. Let us see what the District Attorney does with this case! Will they drop the felonies down to misdemeanors? Will the judge give them a slap on the hand?

• Sharon Quintal says:

Susan…hopefully this will become a national test case. Either way they will probably throw everything at her and her helpers. Prision is the best she can hope for cause she will disappear off the fact of the earth if let out. Lets hope if she goes to jail there are a lot of animal lovers in there with her.

• Appycountrylover says:

I volunteer to be a juror on this trial if it goes to that! Oh, darn, they won’t pick me, I’ve already passed judgment on all three…

4. the monroes says:

Who cares the mastermind!!! Any1 involved with these cruel actions should have to pay for their actions!!! To the owners of the horses that were found im glad for their return! To the owners of credit card we are very sorry for ur loss!

• Sharon Quintal says:

I so agree with you. I also send my throughts to Credit Cards owners. I would kill if put in their positon. I rescue horses and just can’t fathom this level of insanity.

5. Catherinem says:

JAW DROPPING!!

6. austin johnson says:

I honestly pray to god they give that sick spoiled little ****H the max sentence for such a horrible crime. My heart an prayers go out to the poor man or woman who owned Credit Card and the other horses as well. With any luck a animal lover will share a cell with her an beat the snot out of her several times.

7. Ida says:

They shouldn’t say she was an accomplice when it clearly states that she masterminded the whole thing from day one.

8. Ice Pony Girl says:

Jaci Rae Jackson…is a horrible …evil monster. I can not even imagine plotting such evilness.

And her family knew? The other rodeo team members had information that could have prevent Credit Card’s death?

Was she released on bail today? 12/06/2011?

I hope they put her away for a very long time and that she is banned for life…from ever owning another animal.

Reiki sent to all the innocent horses. My heart breaks for Credit Card and his young owner.

9. Vickie says:

I truly believe that no one in their right mind would do such a thing. They had to be on drugs or mentally unstable. The thought of someone abusing one of my innocent horses just makes me furious. To prevent this from ever happening again to an animal and/or a person, I hope they never experience freedom again.

10. LK says:

This is so heart breaking, and I truly believe the ones responsible for this will have to answer to God for there actions, and it want be good, because our God loves his animals as he loves us. I pray for the family in there loss of Credit Card. Rodeo has been the largest part of my families life, and I know how it is to lose one of your best. My prayers are with this family. I know Ashley and have seen her compete on her good black horse, I think God that he lead them to find this horse and the other students horses. This rodeo team will continue to be in our prayers, for all to heal.
    I pray that everyone that took part in this animal cruelity will pay for there sever crimes.

11. Lisa says:

She’s as much of an accomplice as Tonya Harding was. She’s the one who devised the entire plan. Sadly, what I predict is that she won’t get much time in prison. Unlike Jeffrey Dahmer, or some other killer who slit a human’s throat and then cut them into pieces, this woman will probably only get a slap on the wrist because it was JUST an animal that was murdered…or as the affadavit called the horses: “Property”.

12. Marissa says:

They just need to take her and anyone else involved out back in the woods. No one will miss that trash.

13. MJ Blakely says:

I agree that this should be a national test case. I’m so tired of vile, evil people get away with abusing and killing any animal. I want it to be more than a slap on the hand and comunity service. Lets start taking this type of crime seriously and no defence because of mental problems!

• Cheryl says:

It was a horrible death for such a great animal! She should be punished, but the sad thing is the laws are more than likely pretty shallow for this type of crime. If she has never been in trouble before, she may face some jail or even prison time, but not enough to justify the crime!! Sometimes HORRIBLE HORRIBLE things have to happen to create change in this country. Maybe this is the eye opener law makers need to amend the punishment for animal abusers. Credit Card is not the first horse who has been treated this way and guarenteed he wont be last untill something changes. So sad..but true!! The judge and jury can only give her the max that is mandated by law…..the judge and more than likely all the jury members will agree she should be starved…tied up….and then hung…but they must abide by the laws……

14. Raye Source says:

I agree with all of your comments. What a demented, self-centered piece of garbage this Jaci Rae Jackson is. I am sure the safest place for this B**** is in a jail cell.

15. Trey says:

Stealing Livestock in the State of TEXAS is still a hanging offense. Bring her and her accomplices on down to Texas. She must have been a sore loser

16. Cheryl Petree says:

I think what Cathy was saying is why is she considered an ‘accomplise’ when she planned out the whole thing and solicited people to carry it out? What sick, demented people. It just makes no sense. I am sure the powers that be must realize how many of us are watching this play out. If prosecuted to the maximum extent of the law means a slap on the wrist, all of us horse people need to join together and get that law changed.

17. vannah says:

I really hope that she gets punished to the full extent of the law. And I assume she will, as during the press conference yesterday it was said that this case is being taken very seriously. Plus, three of the horses were valued at $25,000+, and that is twenty years in prison a horse. I pray she will be locked away for a long time, but I still do not find that to be enough of a punishment. I do think that people who are guilty of animal cruelty, particularly when the murder of an animal is present, should be persecuted as what they are– murderers– because harm of animals is typically one of the first signs of having the psychological deficiencies that would convince someone that it is okay to kill a person.

18. Tina says:

I wouldn’t let her rot in jail. I would take her and her accomplices and hang them by their necks like they did in the olden days. Isn’t horse theft a hanging offence. Poor Credit Card that poor horse as well as the other horses suffered and they should suffer and hang for what they did. I wish there was a death penalty for people like them!

19. Pam says:

Tie her to a tree without food or water while she waits for her day in court

20. Sandy Baker says:

Are yall trying to be politically correct?

21. smith says:

I truly hope our justice system deals with these people the way it should. Because I fear if it doesn’t the equestrian community will take care of it themselves. You just don’t do something like this and get away with it.

22. dragonwood says:

This is for her accomplice, and the little bi-ch Billy Hamilton. You have been named as the trigger BOY in this case. I’m not sure if they have found you but I and several of my friends know who you are. I’m not threatning you directly myself but I will tell you it’s better that the cops get to you first. You are supposed to be the “adult” in this situation. You first and foremost should have stopped this plan on its infancy. Not only did you not provide the “adult” voice of reason, you did the actual killing and mutilating. You Mr. Will never be able to hide, whether now or even after you are in prison. There are horse lovers everywhere that wish you harm. so just live the few days you have left, if there is any such thing as real justice, look over your shoulder, hide in the shaadows, duck your head as you pass your fellow prisoners, be afraid!!! They will be coming for you!!

• Ralphie says:

Amen!!!!!

• SuadeBlue says:

You tell ‘em!!!!

This reminds me of the article I read about three years ago. A man down in Florida had a stud and a couple of mares. He ran the stud against some others men in a “Short Race” on a dirt road–his stud didn’t win. What he do?? He got drunk and got mad and slit the stud’s throat to bleed to death. One of his friends didn’t like what he seen, so he called authorities. When the police arrived, the blood from the stallion had formed a trail down into the pen where the two mares were at–the mare were standing in the stallions blood–SICK , EVIL, BAST**RDS!

23. SJohnson says:

This whole thing happened because this girl was obviously jilted by “Credit Card’s” owner. It is a sad thing that revenge would go this far and I assume that the other horses were taken because she was threatened by her own teammates and felt she couldn’t compete with them. There is a general consensus that she and her accomplices should be taken out and tied to trees to be left for dead. But remember that revenge is an all encompassing evil. “Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.”
    These are words one would be wise to heed. I believe that ‘Credit Card’s” owner should have an influence on how these people are punished but I also believe, that if he chooses to forgive we should support his decision.

• bear99 says:

She is a very disturbed and sick person it’s a wonder she didn’t try to kill Credit Cards owner she apparently has it in her.

• Mindy says:

THIS is a fact– we don’t have to forgive, and revenge is a dish best served cold. If Credit Card’s owner forgives her, that’s his business. I for one want the psychopath put away for a long time, and that is only because I doubt we could actually have her put to sleep. When dogs are vicious, we put them down. When horses show signs of being willing to mutilate or attack each other or humans, we put them down. These sick people were willing to kill and mutilate a valuable, blameless animal because its owner evidently ‘made her mad’. I am aware we do not put such people down in today’s society, but I damn well hope we lock them up and throw away the key. What they were doing to an innocent horse, they WANTED to do to its owner. That’s all kinds of wrong, and forgiveness in this kind of situation would be stupidity.

24. Anonymous says:

Horse theft is a hanging crime. Too bad they wont enforce it…

25. Ralphie says:

May God have mercy on your souls…cuz none of the rest of the horse lovin, cowboy nation will!!!!!!!!!

26. Appycountrylover says:

She obviously had a fatal attraction with the owner of Credit Card. This girl needs some serious mental counseling, needs to be removed from the college, needs to have a court order never to be allowed within 100 ft. of a live animal and needs to pay restitution to each of the horses owners for the pain and suffering caused to each horse AND their owner. The mother needs counseling too for raising a manipulative daughter who has such deep seated problems and be ordered to sell everything she has to raise the money to help pay for restitution and the boyfriend…well, he should be secreted away to the backwoods, stripped naked, bound, gagged and left to die but if that can’t happen, then he should face jail for a very long time. I of course am all in favor for the least expensive and fastest way of saving tax payers money. Just take them all out in the woods, strip them naked, bound, gag and tie them to trees far enough apart but close enough so that each one of them can watch the others die.

27. Kendra says:

This woman needs to be put in a prison where the inmates who train and love the horses they train are being held… she wouldnt last very long at all. There is no way an animal could make someone so mad that they would want to butcher them as she did to “Credit Card.” No matter what the owner of the horse did to her or not. There was no sane reason for her to even steal any of those horses. She needs to be locked FAR away in a mental institution where she wont see the light of day ever.

28. SuadeBlue says:

This is a copy of the Stolen Horse Bulletin that I received and posted on Facebook for those of you who have never seen this.

I’m not sure which one was “Credit Card.” Poor Baby… :(

29. Debbie honeycutt says:

My heart goes out to the owner of credit card. If this had happened to my horse i would be so broken hearted. We need to pray for this girl and the others involved because they are obviously sick, sick people. It is an indication tbat they could kill a person if they can do this to an innocent horse. What a dastardly deed. It just makes me so mad and sad.

30. Julia says:

This young woman is a very disturbed individual. Not only was this crime violent against innocent animals…..it displays a risk of violence against any person that “pisses” her off. She belongs in a mental health facility…..she will problably on the advice of council plead temporary insanity….. she derserves life incarceration at facility for the criminally insane……wonder if she will be tried as a minor since the crime occured prior to her 19th Birthday…….I hope not as this horrific act of violence deserves all the punishment that can be exicuted.
    I am so glad someone came forward to save the other horses……
    My heart, my prayers and my sincere condolences go out to the Rodeo Team, Coaches, Parents and anyone else affected by this horrific crime…..
    May God give you all Peace
    Ta

31. Blondie says:

This girl should be held accountable and punished to the highest allowable. She should have to register as a danger to everyone she comes in contact with. This act is unexcusable. She needs to do jailtime and the inmates will give her an education that she obviously deserves. Her name should be sent to every horse and rodeo organization in the world , so that she is NEVER able to do this again or come in contact with the equine world again. Her relatives should also be punished in a like fashion. Did they just think that this would all fade into the sunset? I am so proud that someone had the nerve to come forward in this matter. As an equine owner for over 50 years , this is just behavior is unthinkable.

32. Billie Douglas says:

This is chilling, that a young girl could be so brutal to that beautiful horse. I feel for the owners. The reaction of most law enforcement and the laws surrounding abuse cases is in dire need or reform. What is it that stats say about most all mass or serial murderers….they almost all started by abusing animals!She must get the max sentance, which is not even close to being enough!

33. Andrea White says:

The Bible tells us we should forgive as Jesus forgave, even on the cross as he was being crucified. But how, as human beings, can our minds and hearts NOT want to get revenge? Revenge is mine sayeth the Lord. And I say, yes Lord, but please let me be your hands just this once!

34. SueS says:

The young woman is scary! If she will do this, what will she do the next time someone “makes her mad”? I would not be surprised to learn that she has arranged for a romantic rival’s relative/child to disappear.

Lock her up and throw away the key. She is a menace to society!

35. cyndi says:

Well I’m glad she did’nt go after one of his kids if he has any.. She could probably benefit from a lobotomy. ( there we go)